- anterior cruciate ligament,
- pain control,
- knee arthroscopy,
- anterior ligament reconstruction,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Zoran Nestorovski, Zorica Vangelovska, Ana-Marija Ilieva
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Anteriorcruciate ligament (ACL) tear is one of the most common sports injuries. The all-inside technique (AIT) for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACLR) is gaining popularity as a more anatomic, less invasive technique with the potential for more rapid recovery. With the recent advances in the field of sports medicine, the all-inside technique is reported to have less postoperative pain as compared to the conventional transportable procedure. The purpose of this research is to determine the differences in acute pain levels between undergoing ACL reconstruction hamstring autograft m. semitendinosusand m.gracilis versus hamstring autograft quadrupled m.semitendinosus in first and second postoperative day. Materials and Methods: A total of 80 patients in period of two years who underwent primary ACL reconstruction using either HS autograft m.semitendinosusand m.gracilis or HS autograft quadrupled m.semitendinosus consented to participate. The primary outcome of the study was postoperative pain levels that were collected after surgery at first and second day. For the quantification of the intensity of pain after the surgery the patients were offered a Visual Analogue Scale (VAS scale), numbered from 0 to 10 (0 means no pain, 10 is the strongest pain). This part of the research shows the results obtained by processing patients with ACL, treated at the Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology in the City General Hospital "8th of September" in Skopje. Results: The average postoperative score one day after surgery for patients with a standard method using a graft in the form of a duplication of m.semitendinosus and m.gracilis based on the VAS scale was 7.70 +0.9 and the score second day after surgery was 4.75 + 1.1.The average postoperative score a day after the surgery for patients treated with the method where only m.semitendinosus is used as a graft and that in the form of quadruplicationbased on the VAS scale was 3.90 +3.1and the score second day after surgery was 2.70 +2.7. Conclusion: A significant reduction in acute postoperative pain was found when performing ACL reconstruction with HS quadrupledm.semitendinosus compared to HS m.semitendinosus-m.gracilis.
- Moses B, Orchard J, Orchard J. Systematic review: Annual incidence of ACL injury and surgery in various populations. Res Sports Med 2012; 20(3–4):157–79. doi: 10.1080/15438627.2012.680633
- Mouton C, Moksnes H, Janssen R, Fink C, Zaffagnini S, Monllau JC, et al. Preliminary experience of aninternational orthopaedic registry: the ESSKA Paediatric Anterior Cruciate Ligament Initiative (PAMI)registry. J Exp Orthop 2021; 8(1):45. doi: 10.1186/s40634-021-00366-7
- Sahu SK, Ganesh A. All-inside technique versus conventional transportal anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A retrospective study. Int J Orthop Sci 2020;6(1):39-44. doi: 10.22271/ortho.2020.v6.i1a.1831
- de Sa D, Shanmugaraj A, Weidman M, Peterson DC, Simunovic N, Musahl V, Ayeni OR. All-Inside anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction-A systematic review of techniques, outcomes, and complications. J Knee Surg 2018;31(9):895-904. doi: 10.1055/s-0038-1627446
- Duong TD, Tran DT, Do BNT, Nguyen TT, Le SM, Le HH. All-inside arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with internal brace Ligament Augmentation using semitendinosus tendon autograft: A case series. Asia Pac J Sports Med ArthroscRehabilTechnol 2022;29:15-21. doi: 10.1016/j.asmart.2022.05.002
- Gobbi A. Single versus double hamstring tendon harvest for ACL reconstruction. Sports Med Arthrosc Rev 2010;18(1):15-9. doi: 10.1097/JSA.0b013e3181cdb4a6
- Ashraf Y, Senevirathna SR, Ashraf T. Conventional versus 'all-inside' anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a randomized controlled trial comparing hamstring strength and functional outcome. Bone Jt Open. 2020;1(11):706-708. doi: 10.1302/2633-1462.111
- Benea H, d'Astorg H, Klouche S, Bauer T, Tomoaia G, Hardy P. Pain evaluation after all-inside anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction and short term functional results of a prospective randomized study. Knee 2014;21(1):102-6. doi: 10.1016/j.knee.2013.09.006
- Yang YT, Cai ZJ, He M, Liu D, Xie WQ, Li YS, Xiao WF. All-Inside anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A review of advance and trends. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 2022;27(3):91. doi: 10.31083/j.fbl2703091. PMID: 35345323
- Bhimani R, Shahriarirad R, Ranjbar K, Erfani A, Ashkani-Esfahani S. Transportal versus all-inside techniques of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a systematic review. J OrthopSurg Res 2021;16(1):734. doi: 10.1186/s13018-021-02872-x
- Sgaglione N, Lubowitz J, Provencher M, Editors: The Knee: AANA advanced arthroscopic surgical techniques. SLACK, Inc. Thorofare, NJ. 2015.