- developmental delay,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Nada Pop-Jordanova
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The main characteristics of children are phenomena of growth and development. Child development could be defined as a complex unfolding of a series of skills and adaptations, with very predictable stages, that occur in multiple dimensions at approximately the same time and in approximately the same order.There are several types of developmental delays in children. These delays can affect child’s physical, cognitive, communication, social, emotional, or behavioural skills. Developmental delays are common in childhood, occurring in 10%-15% of preschool children in different forms. Global developmental delays are less common, occurring in 1%-3% of preschool children. The article gives some practice parameters for identification and management of child development based on the newest published articles included in the PubMed database.
- Khan I, Leventhal BL. Developmental Delay. 2021 Aug 4. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan–. PMID: 32965902.
- Choo YY, Agarwal P, How CH, Yeleswarapu SP. Developmental delay: identification and management at primary care level. Singapore Med J 2019; 60(3):119-123.
- Oberklaid F, Efron D. Developmental delay--identification and management. Aust Fam Physician. 2005;34(9):739-42.
- Zablotsky B, Black LI, Maenner MJ, Schieve LA, Danielson ML, Bitsko RH et al. Prevalence and trends of developmental disabilities among children in the US: 2009–2017. Pediatrics 2019; 144(4):e20190811.
- Shevell M, Ashwal S, Donley D, Flint J, Gingold M, Hirtz D, et al. Practice parameter: Evaluation of the child with global developmental delay. Neurology 2003; 60:367-380
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Content last reviewed June 2021. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. Available at: https://www.ahrq.gov/cpi/about/otherwebsites/uspstf/index.html
- Donald KA, et al. Drakenstein Child Health Study (DCHS): investigating determinants of early child development and cognition, BMJ Paediatrics Open 2018;2:e000282.
- Mackrides PS, Ryherd SJ. Screening for developmental delay. Am Fam Physician 2011; 84(5):544-9.
- Марковска С, Кочубовски М, Поп-Јорданова Н. Психофизиолошка проценка на група деца, изложени на емисија на олово во Велес. Проблеми на хигиената 2005; 26 (1): 26-29.
- Shah M, Khan M, Khan MT, Khan MY, Saeed N. Causes of visual impairment in children with low vision. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2011; 21(2):88-92.
- Stoppel DC, McCamphill PK, Senter RK, Heynen AJ, Bear MF. mGluR5 Negative modulators for fragile X: Treatment resistance and persistence. Frontiers in Psychiatry 2021; 12 DOI: 10.3389/fpsyt.2021.718953