- diabetes mellitus,
- public health
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Ivan Pangovski
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Diabetes mellitus is an increasingly common public health problem and affects the population health. In many studies, DM is very often in a close correlation with many cardiovascular diseases and brain hemorrhage in general. The aim of the paper was to determine whether the presence of diabetes mellitus has influence on the occurrence of cerebral hemorrhage. Material and methods: The study included 61 patients diagnosed with hypertensive intracerebral hematoma in the hemispheres of the brain. Results: The prevalence of diabetes in the group of survivors of intracerebral hemorrhage was 26.67%, while in the group of subjects in whom the disease ended lethally diabetes had an insignificantly higher prevalence of 43.75% (Chi-square: 1.61df = 1, p = 0.21). Analysis of the prevalence of diabetes regarding the mobility of the respondents showed that there were no respondents with diabetes in the group of patients who could function independently, while there were 7 (24.14%) respondents with diabetes in the group who required help or aid for accomplishing their daily activities, and 5 (50%) in the group of respondents who were completely dependent on someone else in performing the everyday functioning. Statistical analysis showed these differences as insufficient to be statistically confirmed as significant (Fisher exact test, p = 0.105). Conclusion: In patients who have had cerebral hemorrhage with lethal outcome diabetes mellitus is a very common phenomenon, as well as in patients who have survived but subsequently have decreased mobility. But these differences are not statistically significant. Measures for reduction of the incidence of diabetes mellitus are needed. These measures include early detection of the disease, treatment and prevention of disability.
- American Diabetes Association. Diagnosis and classification of di¬abetes mellitus.[published cor¬rection appears in Diabetes Care. 2010;33(4):e57]. Diabetes Care 2010;33 Suppl 1(Suppl 1):S62-S69. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2337/dc10-S062
- Hesami O, Kasmaei HD, Matini F, Assarzadegan F, Mansouri B, Jabbe¬hdari S. Relationship between in¬tracerebral hemorrhage and diabe¬tes mellitus: a case-control study. J Clin Diagn Res 2015;9(4):OC08- OC10. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2015/12226.5741
- Petrović B. Epidemiologija. Nis : Medicinski fakultet, 2014.
- Институт за јавно здравје. Превен¬ција од дијабет. Скопје : 2017
- Влада на РСМ. Програма за обезбедување инсулин, глукагон, инсулински игли, ленти за мерење шеќер и едукација за третман и контрола на дијабетесот за 2020 година. Скопје : 2020.
- Alawieh A, Zhao J, Feng W. Factors affecting post-stroke motor recov¬ery: Implications on neurotherapy after brain injury. Behav Brain Res 2018;340:94-101. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2016.08.029
- Heit ЈЈ, Iv M, Wintermark M. A Im¬aging of Intracranial Hemorrhage. Journal of Stroke 2017;19(1):11-27. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5853/jos.2016.00563
- Kelly DM, Rothwell PM. Blood pres¬sure and the brain: the neurolo¬gy of hypertension. Pract Neurol 2020;20(2):100-108. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/practneurol-2019-002269